Sunday 2 March 2014

Block Buster Sunday #5 The X Block





The block I've been playing with today is nice and easy, and I've even allowed for trimming the quarter square units in my fabric measurements, so you don't even have to be that accurate whilst making them….. perfect for a quiet Sunday.
And yes, I've chosen some VERY pink fabric. Well, to be honest, it's not only quiet round here, it's also wet and very grey, so I had to bring some brightness into the day somehow!!
I've made a 12" block, as I have plans for this little baby, but as usual I've provided cutting instructions for other sizes too. Note that the cutting instructions are for TWO blocks, so you don't have any wastage

For two 6" finished blocks you need:
6     3 1/2" squares of  fabric A
6     3 1/2" squares of  fabric B
8     2 1/2" squares of  fabric C

For two 9" finished blocks you need:
6     4 1/2" squares of  fabric A
6     4 1/2" squares of  fabric B
8     3 1/2" squares of  fabric C

For two 12" finished blocks you need:
6     5 1/2" squares of  fabric A
6     5 1/2" squares of  fabric B
8     4 1/2" squares of  fabric C
    

Pair each colour A square with a colour B square.Place one on top of the other, right sides together and draw a diagonal line from one corner o the opposite corner. Sew a seam 1/4" away from the drawn line on either side.

Rotary cut along the pencil line to create 2 half square triangle units.


Press open with the seam allowance pressed to the dark side.


Place the 2 half square triangle units right sides together so that the dark right side of one is facing the light right side of the other. Draw a diagonal pencil line as you did before.
Sew 1/4" away from the line on either side.


Cut along the pencil line.


Press each unit open.


Trim each unit to the same size as the colour C squares. For accurate trimming make sure that the diagonal like on your ruler is aligned with the diagonal seam on your unit.


Lay out the sections of your block as shown.


Sew the pieces in each row together.


Press seams towards Fabric C



Sew the rows together to complete the block.


I hope you liked my choice of block for today.
I'm going to make a baby quilt using this block and I deliberately chose solids as I want to practice some free motion quilting on this design.
What fabric would you choose to make this block?

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Lovely block, Julie, but then I am a huge fan of pink and grey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another great tutorial Julie - these are so helpful - thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tutorial Julie! Your blocks look lovely and I look forward to seeing your FMQ :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice colour combo - love the dark pink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep putting off starting a quilt as they just seem, well, so big! Your tutorial is super and perhaps I could just make a few squares at at time and build up slowly. Thank you so much for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...