Tuesday 1 October 2013

Weekend Jelly Roll Quilt Top


Pin ItYes! That's right. I managed to make a jelly roll quilt top in a weekend..... and spend a lot of time gardening as well:-)
It was a beautiful, sunny weekend here in the West Midlands, although quite cold at the start and end of the day. I needed to spend quite a bit of time in the garden - all those fruits and veg eagerly sown in the Spring need harvesting now. It's almost a full time job! But I felt the need to do some relaxing sewing as well, something that didn't tax the brain too much, something that didn't need precision sewing (so work on the Swoon quilt was definitely out!)
Once an idea popped into my head I went with it. I had just the right Jelly Roll sitting waiting to be used. Reunion is a fun collection by Sweetwater for Moda. I've had it a couple of years and the idea I had seemed perfect for it. Once I'd worked out the measurements, this was a fast and easy block to put together - no interlocking seams! I think I'd spent too long weeding between the gaps in the block paving on my patio - the design seems to have been inspired by those pavers!

I started early each morning, before I went out to garden and soon had a lovely pile of finished blocks.


The sashing went on Sunday afternoon/evening and now I'm admiring how well those fun prints work together.

I love fact that there's no pink in this collection. It makes it gender neutral.


The date print is one of my favourites. I made sure I used every one of those strips.


The bunting comes a close second though!
This will be a lap quilt, but I've made it good and long so two people can cozy up underneath it on the sofa, without fighting each other for it. Just got to get some wadding now.

It's good to wait for the right moment to use a fabric, and it's good to do a little easy and relaxed sewing sometimes, even if it does mean leaving other projects half finished.


Hope you had a good weekend too!






8 comments:

  1. What a perfect quilt!! You must have worked really fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your quilt.....and well done for getting it done - and the gardening - in a weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work and so quick. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! What pretty bunting fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! I like the mixture of colors and that pattern as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful... I love those fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bunting fabric is so playful and fun! Lovely quilt ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...